There are two IVF treatment protocols:
- Antagonist "short" cycle takes approximately 4 weeks to complete.
- Long down regulation "long" cycle takes 5 to 8 weeks to complete.
Eggs are inseminated with sperm in the laboratory using one of two techniques:
- Invitro-fertilisation (IVF) - eggs and sperm are mixed in nutrient media and fertilisation occurs naturally.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) - a single sperm is injected into an egg to assist with fertilisation.
IVF treatment starts when your period begins. In brief, a treatment cycle involves:
- Hormonal injections
- Egg retrieval
- Fertilisation of eggs with sperm
- Embryos cultured in nutrient media
- Embryo transfer of your best embryo and freeze any suitable embryos for the future
- Pregnancy test is scheduled approximately 2 weeks later